Tag Archive for ups shipments

Malware and Virus attacks get more “life-like”

I spent a few hours pulling a serious malware infection, actually a set of 8 different ones, off a client’s main system yesterday. He contracted the mess at 5:40 PM last Monday.

My contention os these attacks are getting more “life-like” is based on the manner in which he identified the moment of problems: He has a major customer and he ships mountains of product to them via UPS. On Monday afternoon (consider what else was going on in the Post-Christmas days and UPS), he received and email indicating an updated delivery status for his UPS shipment. His comment was it appeared to look very much like others he had received via the major customer, so he clicked on it. He said it didn’t have fancy graphics, but it certainly was a detailed looking email, not a one liner with a link.

It also reminds me of the 1-3 emails I get a day into one of my other blogging emails that obviously some scraper picked up off that site. They tend to be advertisements, but they are mixed in with emails that are my accounts at (fill in the banking institution) suspended, blocked, etc. Some of them actually are all dressed up with HTML graphics layouts, too. I stay away, but then I deal with this daily. For others, like my client, when one comes that makes sense to their work flow/life/personal business/social networking, there is a likelihood they will allow the malware in, and their firewalls may not stop it.

For the user: You have to be wary of things that look kinda true , but something still tells you it’s not kosher and look closer before clicking.

Be careful out there and practice safe computing!

For you techs, looking how to get rid of this:

Anyhow, it really embedded itself within his system, flagged as a Win32 password stealer by Microsoft Security Essentials. The good news, in early Tuesday, I convinced him to take the rest of the year off and reward himself for a great year, and I’d be over Thursday morning (since the malware would allow a network connection for a few moments, then cut it off, so a remote session was out of the question.

I used MalwareBytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Kaspersky TDSS Root Killer and old school digging through the entire registry, after seeing the names in the user appdata roaming and local files under nonsense random lettering named .exe files and folders.

I called this one a “repeater,” as MSE would identify it, clean it, then it would fire itself back up about 30 seconds later. I would see 8 different start up program listings named BitNefender 2016, turn them off, and they would be back, activated in the next reboot. Interestingly enough, searching for that name in the registry never found anything, even after several tries.

It was the searching for the keys and values in the registry and manually deleting them) that, in combination of the MSE and MalWareBytes scans that finally got things working normally, including restoring a constant network connection.